I was having some difficulties with a couple bugs in the Sublime Text 2 Guard
plugin I have been working on. So, I decided I would drop Jon Skinner,
developer of Sublime Text 2, an e-mail and see if he knew about the issues I
was having and hopefully of solutions/work arounds for them. Jon, was very
helpful in terms of better understanding the issues as well as suggesting some
Anyways, given the input from Jon I took another look at the bugs/features of
the Guard plugin and decided to tackle them tonight. The following items show
the progress that I made tonight with respect to the Sublime Text 2 Guard
- Enabled native Sublime Text 2 word wrap in the Guard output view.
- Guard now exits properly when Sublime Text 2 exits/dies.
- Added default key bindings to show Guard output view (super+shift+c)
- Submitted a pull request to get the Guard plugin added to the Package
Control repository list.
As usual I am looking for feedback issues (feature requests, bug fixes, etc.)
You can find the project as
sublime_guard on GitHub. As of
tonight I am down to two feature requests. So, please create bugs in the issues
if you run into any so that I can work on fixing them sooner rather than later.
Just dropping a quick note to all that follow my blog. Last night I made a
numeber updates to the Guard
Plugin for Sublime Text
2. Most of these were in direct response to
feedback that I got from users after making the initial release on my blog, I
think, two days ago. The modifications I made are enumarted below:
- The biggest addition is
RVM detection and integration. The plugin is now
intelligent enough to detect if you have RVM installed and detect if you are
using a Project specific .rvmrc and of course respond by calling Guard
appropriately depending on the case.
- Another relatively small fix is a
vertical only auto-scroll. Before, if Guard
output went to the right past the width of the pane it was auto-scrolling to
the right and then bouncing back to the left at the next line. Now, it always
scrolls down the left most column of the output basically making it
- Third I added some output preprocessing that
strips out the Terminal Color
Codes so that the output is a bit cleaner.
- I also added a lot of
descriptive output and error handling and output to let
the user better know what is failing so they might be able to debug the
situation a bit better.
As always if you have any feedback (feature requests, bug reports, etc.) you
can simply create an issue for the project at the projects GitHub Issues
If you are new to the Guard Plugin
for Sublime Text 2 you can find installation
instructions and document on the GitHub
For instructions on upgrading please checkout the GitHub
Hi all. I know it has been a while. Please forgive me. My life has been a
little crazy. I am still in the process of buliding my house. I also recently
became engaged so I am trying to deal with wedding planning. Beyond that I am
still trying to get all my development work done for RealPractice, my side
company, and all of my open source projects.
Anyways, I needed a break from serious projects and decided it was time for a
small fun project that would potentially help me develop the more serious
projects more efficiently. A while back I started using a new text editor
called Sublime Text 2. Basically it is what
TextMate 2 promised (and failed) to be and more.
So, since I have been using this for a while and I have been developing Ruby
and Rails apps lately using BDD and TDD I decided it was time to remove the
annoyance of having to switch to the terminal after each little development
iteration to check Guard’s output to see why my tests are failing. Wow that was
a run on sentence. Oh, well it is 2 am and I just finished the plugin so bare
with me. Anyways. Therefore, I decided it was the perfect opportunity to build
a Sublime Text 2 plugin that integrates Guard
It is available with its documentation on GitHub at
Please don’t hesitate to go grab it, use it, extend it, contribute back, report
bugs, or throw me new feature requests.