Fork me on GitHub

Drew's World

Rants, News, Etc on my Life and Projects

Gas Pipes & Dumpster

Phew, I just completed a very exhausting weekend with Aly and my parents. This weekend I ordered a dumpster because my parents were coming down to help work on my house and I had a massive pile of rubble in the backyard RV parking spot that needed to go. Once we loaded the dumpster with all of the rubble (more than two rooms of plaster) we decided to demo another room as the allocated 18 inches of heavy material at the bottom wasn’t filled. This was crucial in my opinion because that damn dumpster cost so much.

Once we had completed the plaster portion of the dumpster loading my Dad and I went to finish running the new gas pipes to the tankless water heater and pressure test them while Aly and my Mom worked on the back yard patio. It took us all weekend to get the pipes in and pressure tested. There is still a small leak as it is dropping 2 10ths of a PSI in 15 mins. Hence, further pressure testing is needed to get to the required state of holding 15 PSI for 15 mins. We went through and tested all of the new joints numerous times but couldn’t find any leaks. Hence, we talked to some people we know in the industry and it seems that when you pressure test and find a leak you generally have to jack up the pressure pretty high 60 to 100 PSI and spray the entire joint not just the threading edges to find the leaks because some joints, elbows especially, tend to have pin holes due to imperfect manufacturing. We probably could have gotten this handled if it hadn’t been Mother’s Day on Sunday but it was nice to take a break and visit with family anyways.

Little did my Dad and I know, while we were hard at work on the black iron pipes, Aly and my Mom had done a huge amount of cleanup on in the backyard, started tilling the grass we previously killed, and removed most of the old nasty fiber glass patio cover. I was amazed with how much they managed to get done.

Thanks Girls!!

As usual I took pictures to let you all in on the progress. You can see them here.

Oh, I also managed to replace the lighting boxes that were previously under the patio cover with outdoor boxes and light fixtures. Stay tuned for new developments with the house.

Gas Pipes & Back Yard Planter Demo

Today, was a busy day as usual in the life of Drew. Aly and I woke up relatively early and decided that it was time to work on the backyard planter. It was in severe need of ripping out plants and weeding. So, Aly and I got our tools together and went to work cutting, chopping, digging, trimming, weeding, pruning, and jumping up and down in the natural waste garbage can, trying to get all of the stuff to fit.

It was quite involved as we removed the three largest bushes from the planter. These bushes had root systems like I have never seen before. Some of them went almost the entire length of the planter. Anyways, we did that till about 1:00 pm and then I started some more demo work behind the fridge for the gas pipes so that I could get a proper measurements before we went to Subway for lunch and then to, you guessed it, Home Depot.

Once we got to Home Depot we went and gathered all of the black iron pipe pieces we needed to get the gas piping done up to the laundry room. Beyond that we got some ground cover bark for the planter that we started working on. Once we got back Aly focused on picking the many river rocks out of the planter that the previous home owners put in there for some reason. While she was working on the planter I started working on notching out studs, drilling holes in studs and other framing so that I could run the pipe through the wall cavity in as few pieces as possible. As always the more connections you have the more possibility there is for leakage. Hence, I always try to get pipes done in the fewest number of joints.

It took us roughly till about 8:00 pm tonight to get the gas piping done up to the laundry room and get the planter decently cleaned out. You can see pictures of the results of our hard work here.

Gas Meter Upgrade

by Andrew De Ponte (@cyphactor)

Woot woot! Another substantial step in the process of my house has been made today. The SoCal Gas Company came out and upgraded my Gas Meter to a higher BTU rating to support my new Tankless water heater which some of you may have seen pictures of in my Photo galleries. Anyways, I got a Noritz NR98-SV Natural Gas Tankless Water Heater. It has a rating of 199,900 BTUs with a required Natural Gas Supply Pressure of Min. 4" WC and a Max. 10.5" WC.

Anyways, my meter was upgraded today to support enough BTUs to supply the Tankless Water Heater and the rest of the appliances in my house. SoCal Gas simply sent out a tech to come in and assess the load of the appliances and inspect that the appliances where all hooked up properly. After doing the rough calculations the tech replaced my meter with another Regulator and Meter that would be substantial enough to supply all my appliances. She also increased the sizing of the reducer immediately after the Meter outlet to what looks like a ¾" minimum size rather than ½" like it used to be.

Anyways, I am one step closer, :-).