When I took over the software engineering team at my job. I had the opportunity to start fresh with a new ticketing, bug tracking, and project management toolset. Over, the years I have used a number of different tools most recently Trac and Lighthouse. However, I can go on and on with the tools that I have tried. When, I came on board they were currently using Jira which I know is big in certain communities, however, everyone seemed to hate it and I have a bunch of issues with it that I don’t want to get into. Anyways, so I spent some time and reviewed the following project management and ticketing systems again to just get a refresher and see where they were at and if any of them would work for me and my team.
- Redmine - http://www.redmine.org/
- Basecamp - http://basecamphq.com/
- Devalot - http://projects.noscience.net/devalot
- ProjectPier - http://www.projectpier.org/
- Trac - http://trac.edgewall.org/
- Jira - http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/
- Collabtive - http://collabtive.o-dyn.de/
- eGroupWare - http://www.egroupware.org/Home
So after heavy review of each of the above listed project management tools I decided on Redmine because it is hugely flexible, has a decent community behind it. It does have what I would consider some usability issues and some major design issues in the UI. However, once you learn those it is pretty much capable of everything I need it to do. When, you look at other solutions they all seem to be lacking very important features.